Monday, October 17, 2011

Beware of new Phishing Twitter Scam!

So, I got a direct message from someone that I follow on twitter today, here it is: "So i guess theres a bad blog going around about you, seen it ?..." I did not include the link for safety.

When I clicked on the link, it took me to a page that looked very much like the twitter page, here is a screenshot


The problem is, the address at the top is NOT twitter.com, it is www.twittelr.com. I looked it up on Google and found the following article, New twitter phishing attack which exposes this as a phishing scam, because when you log into what you think is twitter, you give them your username and password, and then they have control of your account!

Just posting this so other people will not be fooled! I did not log in on that site, so they did not get me! Beware!

Anytime you are logging into a site that uses a user name and password, please take a look at the address at the top and make sure it is the website you think you are on. And if it is a financial website, the address should start with https:// which means it is a secure log on.

Be careful out there!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the warning. I'm going to share this link on Facebook for my friends who use Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully it will help someone! I am fairly internet savvy and they almost got me with this one.

    ReplyDelete